Silty Powley 1994 – 2010

Blogged under Yada, Yada, Yada by Tammy on Friday 24 September 2010 at 10:26 am

Silty left us quietly last night after being one of my best girl friends for the past 16 years. She taught me a lot about being fearless and sure about yourself.

The word “no” and the phrase “you shouldn’t do that” were not part of her vocabulary.

She enjoyed simple pleasures like warming herself in a sunny window and sitting on my lap weekend mornings while I ate breakfast and attempted to read the paper as she stole a bite of my breakfast.

She also taught me about going after what you want in life. My husband found her one day walking around the offices of an engineering company he was working for in Riveria Beach, Florida. She was only a few months old and had been living in the industrial yard behind the building. There were automatic doors from the yard into the offices and labs because of the heavy equipment they would have to move in and out, and she just walked through those doors one day in search of a new home. At the time, we had a huge menagerie and had just lost an 18 year old cat. I thought we just couldn’t find room in our home or hearts for another furry creature, but he brought her home, and we all fell in love with each other immediately.

I know she had a good life and was well cared for and loved, but we will miss her.

1. Comment by Dee — September 24, 2010 @ 10:44 am

So sorry for your loss! What a beautiful face she has!

2. Comment by Patty — September 24, 2010 @ 11:13 am

I know, isn’t it something when animals come into your life out of no where. IT was meant to be you and your loved one.
    It amazes me that I can say “no more four leggers”, because my heart seems so heavy,but all of a sudden,I find myself with another.

3. Comment by Tammy — September 24, 2010 @ 11:17 am

@ Dee Thank you, she had some amazing green eyes.
    @ Patty I know what you mean. When we lost the lat of three dogs we had had for many years, I was determined no more dogs, but 2 weeks later we were at the local Humane Society adopting two more. They need us, but we need them as well.

4. Comment by Judy — September 24, 2010 @ 5:48 pm

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. Like you, my kitty is my best friend. He loves me unconditionally and I know I’ll have to face this soon, but he’s always been there for me and I’ll be there for him. I do feel your loss having gone through it once before.

5. Comment by Tammy — September 24, 2010 @ 6:27 pm

Thank you, Judy. She often greeted me at the door when I got home, was on my lap constantly, really a true sweetie pie, so she was very much like a friend to me. It is never easy though is it?

6. Comment by Corinne — September 25, 2010 @ 8:44 am

I don’t know you, but came across your guest blog in Metal Clay Today. So sad to lose a pet, the pain you feel when you lose them is the result of the love that you have given each other.

7. Comment by Tammy — September 25, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

That is a sweet thought. Thank you, Corinne.

8. Comment by Kenneth Fron — September 26, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss with losing Silty. It’s got to be hard, like part of the family. I know my friend, Maria had a cat and she cried for hours the afternoon she had to put her to sleep. Se still is very emotional and cries when I call her, a couple months later. Know that Silty is always around in spirit and will watch over you in heaven above! (hugs)

9. Comment by Eileen — September 26, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

Oh Tammy, I’m so sorry. We’re animal lovers too and currently have four street dogs we took in over the years.

She was a beautiful cat. I’ll miss your blogs about Silty messing with your beads and insisting on being in the middle of any project. What a love she was.

10. Comment by Tammy — September 26, 2010 @ 4:59 pm

@ Kenneth I had a good cry most of Friday and I still get chocked up when I think of her. I always hear people talk about how aloof cats are, but I have never experienced that, actually totally the opposite. My cats are always hanging out with us and must be part of everything we do. We even keep extra chairs near the kitchen table so they have some place to sit when we sit down to eat! Of course, they still want to sit on our laps or in the middle of the table if at all possible 😉

@Eileen Thank you. All our animals over the years have been found or adopted from the Humane Society. There is such a need that we could never see purchasing a pet, totally crazy. I don’t even think breeding should be allowed considering how many dogs and cats are put to sleep because there aren’t enough homes for them.

11. Comment by Amy — October 7, 2010 @ 7:14 pm