Skimpy Powley 2011-1994

Blogged under Yada, Yada, Yada by Tammy on Monday 28 March 2011 at 8:56 am

Today seems like a fitting day for all of the rain we are getting. We said good-bye yesterday to our little gray-boy cat, Skimpy. In May, he would have turned 18, and we are very grateful to have him with us for 17+ years.

He was a personality plus, plus kind of little guy. Even though he never weighed more than 8lbs, he was always the alpha cat in our home, bossing everyone around including his humans who were more than happy to serve him. He had a sassy demeanor, but he could turn on the purs and charm you instantly.

When I found him as a stray, I seriously thought the vet would suggest he be put down. He was about 3 months old and weight 1.9lbs at the time. He looked literally like a little rat. In fact, he looked so awful that I couldn’t bring myself to take photos of him at the time, but he rallied and eventually turned into a gorgeous cat with silken fur and a lean body, often mistaken for a pure Russian Blue for those who didn’t know his alley cat pedigree.

It is oddly quiet in the house today and strange to sit here and type without him next me, reaching out and pulling my hand off the keyboard so that I would pet him. He was a great office assistant and reminded me often that life is not all about work and we should play once and awhile and then enjoy a good nap.

1. Comment by Terry — March 28, 2011 @ 9:28 am

So sorry to hear of your loss. Funny how our animal family members are so, soooo important in our lives. But, wow almost 18 that’s incredible. I’m sure you are glad that you had him that long, and will miss him dearly.

2. Comment by Tammy — March 28, 2011 @ 11:49 am

Thank you, I know. If he was a human, he’d be ready to go off to college by that age. We were lucky, especially considering where he came from originally.

3. Comment by Patty — March 28, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

Tears, Just the thought of Skimpy pushing your hand just so you take the time to pet him , to leave those Keys, and Pet “him” I can almost feel your pain. To know your heart is so loving. To even take Skimpy in. I know there was a reason why his path crossed yours that day. When you found him. Everything comes into our life, in time we are shown why they are there. God Bless you and your family, God Bless Skimpy. Healing hugs. Patty

4. Comment by Phylameana — March 29, 2011 @ 11:15 am

Oh Tammy, sending my love to you today. It aches the heart so when we lose our beloved pets. (((hugs))) Thank you for sharing these photos of Skimpy.

5. Comment by Janet — March 31, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

So very sorry for your loss, Tammy. Skimpy was clearly well-loved! We were the proud parents of a faux-Russian Blue stray ourselves, for 18 years. We adopted him as an adult, so he was actually over 20 when he moved on. I was so surprised to see your comment about Skimpy and college, because I’ve said that exact same thing so many times about Louie! He was my first pet ever, and when his time came I never believed I could ever take on another – too painful to say goodbye! But a few years later a vet friend shared the sad story of a tiny, neglected, 3-legged tuxedo kitten who needed a home and that’s all it took! I’d like to think that Skimpy and Louie and all of the loveable little characters who’ve gone before us are somewhere wonderful right now, enjoying eternal contentment! Thinking of you & sending warm hugs.