Bartering for Baby Afghan

Blogged under Projects in Progress by Tammy on Wednesday 30 March 2011 at 11:52 am

A good friend of mine offered to pay me to make a baby afghan for him that he wants to give to a couple he knows who is having their first child. This is the first time anyone has asked me to make something and offer to pay for it. I thought about it for awhile, and honestly, I have no idea how long it takes me to make items that I crochet. I do it because I like to, and I’m not that great at it, so it is probably best if I don’t time myself and try to figure out how fast I am (or more than likely how slow).

I didn’t feel right about selling, but I didn’t want to turn him down either. It’s not like I haven’t made a jillion baby afghans for total strangers. Why not make one for a friend? Then I realized I could barter for it instead, and this would relieve some of the pressure.

Pictured is what I’ve started so far. I’m planning on making it about 36×36 inches in shell stitch. I’m using Bernat Baby Softee in blue and white/blue variegated. I plan to do about 12 inches of solid blue, then 12 inches of variegated, and then another 12 of solid. Then I’ll trim it in variegated. That’s the plan at least. We’ll see how it goes.

I haven’t done shell stitch in a while, so this is a nice way to reintroduce myself to it. I forgot how much texture it creates, and because of the softee yarn, it’s nice and squishy feeling to boot.

1. Comment by Eileen — April 2, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

What a nice solution to a sticky situation. The afghan looks lovely. I like the ruffly look the shell stitch creates. I’d like to reach out and squish it right now 😉

2. Comment by Sherry — April 4, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

I love those shell stitches! Its really beautiful! Did you make up the pattern!
    Can’t wait to see the finished product!

3. Comment by jd wolfe — April 4, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

so, what are you bartering for? the babyghan you’ve got done so far is very pretty! good job – and good idea to barter. i love doing that!
    jd

4. Comment by Tammy — April 7, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

@Sherry – I’m actually going to change it some from what I originally planned. I’ll post about it soon with a new pictures. It’s very similar, just my stripes will be more narrow. And, yes, I’m making this up as I go along.

@Eileen – Thanks, it is very soft. I forgot how great shell was to do.

5. Comment by Tammy — April 7, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

@JD I know this is crazy, but I’m bartering for a necklace. Long story, but it’s for a good friend who makes them and I’ve wanted one for awhile. Even though I make jewelry too, it’s neat to have pieces from people I know as well.