Knitting for Charity Group on Ravelry

Blogged under Social Networking by Tammy on Wednesday 18 January 2012 at 4:43 pm

Of course, I am more of a crocheter, especially considering I am still learning how to do my first stitch in knitting, but I have recently been brought on board to help moderate a group on Ravelry called Charity Knitting. The idea behind this group came from Laura, who originally started the group. It is a place for charities to request items, and for those of use who like to knit and crochet for charity purposes to come together and share. So if you knit, crochet, or even do both, I hope you can come and join us and pump a little life into this group. Tell use about your own experiences making items for charities. Tell us about a special charity that is in need of knit or crochet items.

1. Comment by Trish — January 19, 2012 @ 11:49 am

Not so much a knitter either – but would like to start out with small projects…..thinking maybe doing it for someone would be an incentive….and that they would be more into small projects too.
    So…such as I am, with my small talent….I’m in!

Trish

2. Comment by Trish — January 19, 2012 @ 11:50 am

Sorry….had to change my info….website not correct…now it is….for now!

3. Comment by Marci — January 19, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

I joined the group and was happily surprised to discover that the moderator lives about 5 miles from me! Such a small world. 🙂 Thanks for the info!

4. Comment by Tammy — January 20, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

Thanks for joining both of you. That is so funny, Marci. The web world can also be a small world. Trish, don’t feel at all like you have to make big projects. One of the cool things about groups like this is that one item from each member can add up!

5. Comment by Eileen — January 22, 2012 @ 8:55 am

I’m so glad to know about this, Tammy. I’ve had several questions at The Artful Crafter from readers looking for such groups and also yarn for their charitable knitting.

Do you have any company support yet in donations of yarn?

6. Comment by Tammy — January 22, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Hi Eileen – This is more of a filter group where we are just trying to help get the word out about various charity drives going on. For example, the Yahoo Crochet List (which I am also a member of) does one monthly, so I posted about that over on the Charity Knitting forum. If you know of anyone who wants to join a group that sponsors charity drives, the Yahoo Crochet List is a good one to join. But they can also find out info about various organizations through the forum too.

For those looking for inexpensive yarn sources, I have heard that thrift stores often have deals. Garage sales are also another source.

7. Comment by Linda — January 22, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

I admire anyone who knits for charity! I used to crochet a lot… but never got good at knitting.

8. Comment by Tammy — January 22, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

You can join if you crochet too. I’m a very novice knitter. Heck, I only can do 1 stitch right now! I am more of a crochet person too.