Amigurumi Graduation - Franken-Raccoon

Blogged under amigurumi by Tammy on Monday 14 January 2013 at 3:47 pm

Yippy! I finished the last of four amigurumi for the Craftsy.com Woodland Animals Amigurumi class. I feel like I have graduated, at least with a B+. My work still is not up to the standards I want it to be, but I learned a lot in the class. For example, the last softie we made is a raccoon, and when you hear people say they don’t like to knit or crochet toys because they are fiddly, they are talking about this guy. He had lots of parts to him, a total of 13. He also required some color changing in the tummy and tail, but I learned some handy tricks for changing yarn colors.

I’m still struggling with the stitching together part of the process, as you can see by his Frankenstein-style neck. And every head I stitch on seems to be looking a little off the the side instead of straight ahead. I probably need to slow down when I stitch, but by this time, I so want him done. So far, this is the most difficult amigurumi I’ve ever made, so Franken-Raccoon will be hanging with me for awhile rather than heading to the toy donation box for now.

1. Comment by ACreativeDream — January 17, 2013 @ 10:00 am

I find that big bows of fun ribbon go a long way toward covering up a bit of wayward stitching… at least around the neck. It’s definitely more difficult than one would think to make it all tidy and invisible.

2. Comment by Eileen — January 17, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

Awww, he is really cute. Well worth the effort, Tammy!

3. Comment by Cyndi L — January 18, 2013 @ 9:10 am

Tammy, I remember when I was a kid that crooked stuffed animals NEVER bothered me, especially when they were made with love. He’s just adorable…and Franken-Raccoon is a great name!

4. Comment by Tammy — January 18, 2013 @ 9:34 am

Thanks guys, it is very hard to be critical of you own crafting.

5. Pingback by The Crafty Princess Diaries » Giraffe, #11 Amigurumi — March 11, 2013 @ 6:16 am

[...] both the yellow and brown yarn going at the same time. I did this same technique when I made my Franken-Raccoon, and it can suck up a fair amount of yarn, which normally would not be an issue. However, I only [...]