Meet Cliff the Brontosaurus. He is number 10 of my slowly growing charity toy collection. Two more to go, and I will meet my goal of a dozen. After that, everything else will be just extra toy goodness. This is a pattern from Freshstitches.com. I’m so-so on how this turned out. Of course, some of this might be due to the yarn I used. It is some of my Red Heart Super Saver that I’m trying to use up. This yarn is great for toys, but it isn’t exactly fun to work with. Not all RHSS are the same. Some are actually pretty okay to work with, but this particular colorway (Turqua) is scratchy and splits easily.
One big boo-boo I did while making this was not following the order of the directions. I’ve made so many amigurumi at this point, that I just jumped right into making the body first. The directions, however, say to make the legs and tail first. Well, there is a reason for this because once you make the bottom part of the body, you need to stitch those on before you start working up the body to create the neck and head. Yes, so I ended up having to work from the other end of the skein because I like to keep knots to a minimum.
The pattern also does not tell you which rows to attach the pieces too (most of her pattern do). Many amigurumi patterns don’t tell you though; it’s just I’ve been spoiled. It was not really hard to figure out where to attach them, but I was afraid I might screw up the tail part because it has to be able to stand up. Luckily, all is well, and Cliff can stand with no problem.
He ended up being about 12 inches high, which is another thing I like about most of Stacey Trock’s patterns. Many of hers are pretty large, so they are actually meant to be hugged and played with by children as apposed to sitting on a shelf just looking cute.