Good-Bye Crochet Today! Hello Mollie Makes, Maybe?

Blogged under crochet and knitting by Tammy on Saturday 19 April 2014 at 5:09 pm

I don’t have a lot of free time to read for pleasure, and there are just so many craft magazines out these days that I have cut way back on my subscriptions over the last few years. Besides the lack of time to read, I felt that I had to be more careful about how much I was spending on magazines too. I now subscribe to just 3 magazines: Stringing, Bead Style, and Crochet Today. Or I guess I should say that I “did” subscribe, as in past tense, to Crochet Today because it’s no longer being published per the letter I received today, which was stuck inside a plastic bag with a copy of Mollie Makes.

Admittedly, I have never been overly “wowed” by Crochet Today, but I usually could find one or two projects in there that I might make, and there were sometimes a few articles that were semi-interesting. Plus, for $10, it was a great price, and it did not have tons of reading for me to do (and feel guilty about not doing). Most other crochet magazines (I won’t name names) are either too “grandma-ish” or too advanced. So I will really miss this little magazine.

I’m flipping through my copy of Mollie Makes this afternoon. I believe I’ve seen this mentioned before online, but it is a British magazine and was not available (until I guess now) in the US. It’s cute, lots of color, and there are some crochet projects in here. In fact, there is an afghan pattern that I really like. I am not sure exactly what I think, and it looks like I will have a few more issues coming since this is now replacing my previous subscription to Crochet Today. Will I cough up $24.99 for a subscription later? I’m not sure.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on Mollie Makes. Does it speak to you? Is it a little “too” retro?

1. Comment by A — April 19, 2014 @ 7:07 pm

Mollie Makes is not the equivalent to Crochet Today.

I would not pay for that magazine.

I would also think twice about subscribing to any magazine by the Crochet Today and/or Mollie Makes publisher.

2. Comment by Alexis Hilgert — April 19, 2014 @ 8:46 pm

Mollie Makes has been in the US for awhile but I guess it was the British version? I’m guessing because the one you buy in the store always comes with a small free craft to do…and I got the letter and mag today too. No little free gift which sucks more because I LOVE CT (and really wish they’d given a reason) and because I buy MM when the free craft is cool. I don’t want to pay twice for this mag!

3. Comment by Reylla — April 26, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

I am so sorry to see Crochet Today go. Mollie Makes is more of a general crafts magazine. Can’t say I find it very impressive. What were they thinking? Cancel Crochet Today and give us this? Geez. Bring back Crochet Today!

4. Comment by Joanna — May 22, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

I LOVED Crochet Today. This is my first issue of Mollie Makes and I HATE it. It is not a similar replacement. I had my subscription through Barnes & Noble on my Nook and I am cancelling it. It is not worth the money to me.

5. Comment by Nancy — July 21, 2014 @ 3:43 pm

I was very disappointed to see Crochet Today go. I am not impressed with Molly Makes and will not subscribe to it when my subscription runs out. I want Crochet Today back. If I had wanted a different magazine, I would have chosen one. We had no warning that CT was going to cease publication. I think that is very poor business!